As recently reported, a 12 year old Arkansas girl recently survived a battle with primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), caused by the free-living amoeba, Naegleria fowleri.
Sadly another 12 year old, infected around the same time didn’t and in fact, Kali is one of only two known survivors of this deadly parasite.
Both cases were linked to water, with Kali contracting it while visiting a waterpark and the other child while knee boarding in a water-filled ditch.
The infection starts when it gains access to your brain which it does by travelling up your nose and through your nasal cavity.
Here are four tips from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention that can help protect you from being infected by this horrible parasite.
- Avoid water-related activities in bodies of warm freshwater, hot springs, and thermally-polluted water such as water around power plants.
- Avoid water-related activities in warm freshwater during periods of high water temperature and low water levels.
- Hold the nose shut or use nose clips when taking part in water-related activities in bodies of warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, or hot springs.
- Avoid digging in or stirring up the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas.